Shit Happens

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Please Help!!

Oh man, headache central. I should have went straight to bed last night when I felt in coming on behind my left eye. A smokey bar and drinks (only 3!) made it so much worse. I even woke up with it this morning. I hope 4 excedrin knock it out. I've only had two migraines in my life, but they were bad enough I live in fear whenever my head really starts to hurt, especially when it begins behind my eye.

I have a job interview at an insurance company tomorrow. It's to write press releases and correspondence. I have no doubts I can do the job, although I don't even know what a press release looks like, but it's an entry level position and I assume they expect to do some training.

This meant I had to go interview outfit shopping last night. I HATE shopping. (Unless it is for make-up or shoes) Clothes shopping is awful. I got frustrated and wanted to leaves, so I sort of settled.

I bought nice pair of dark brown dress pants, a conservative silky under shirt, and a button-up shirt to go on top. I meant to get a suit, or at least a suit jacket, to wear over my outfit, but everything made me look like the blueberry girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I talked to my friends about it last night, and they all said I need to go back and get a jacket to go over it. This is the Midwest, I've seen people go to job interviews in jeans, no joke. They dressed them up, but still, they were obviously light colored jeans, not even dressy darker ones.

I really don't want to do anymore shopping, or pay a bunch of money for something that will only fit me for a few more months, if that. The outfit I got looks very nice and professional. Although my friend Farah said the "rule" is that on the first interview a woman should "wear a pants suit and hair up, on the second interview, wear a skirts suit and hair down". (she heard this in a career class she took in college) I have tattoo on the back of my neck, so wearing my hair up is out, but I'm not really concerned about that part.

So the question is:
Do I need to go back out tonight and get at least a jacket for this interview?

My next question is: What do I tell my current employer? I have a half hour lunch, but it sounds like I will be gone at least an hour. They're lax about that stuff, so I was just going to say I had an doctor's appt. It wouldn't be a problem at all if it ran over an hour. BUT, I wear jeans, t-shirts, and no make-up to work every day. It's very casual, so I never dress up.

The pastors at work will defiantly notice if I come in dressed up, hair done, with make-up AND I have an hour and half MD appt. I was thinking of saying I was going to lunch with my dad and wanted to look nice, if they ask. But that sounds pretty lame to me

Any suggestions?

10 Comments:

  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Mister Jinxy said…

    I swore I was going to get something useful done today, then I got sucked into reading your blog. Thanks a lot.

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    that's what i'm here for

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger ty bluesmith said…

    i try to show as many tattoos as possible at job interviews. that way, they only hire me to teach creative writing and not grammar.

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    you guys aren't helping at all!

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger philo said…

    it's a good idea to try to find the jacket, but don't buy one that makes you look (feel) stupid. better to be underdressed and confident. normally i'd say put your hair up and sport the tattoo like what. but horace mann could not hire you for that. won't you have a collar on?

    and the day before your interview, worry about real stuff like what to say and what to have on your resume. and remember that you've got a job and don't need this one.

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    i love you for saying "stupid", instead of "fat"

    i'm going to try on the shirt again and see if the collar covers it

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger stoli said…

    No sure if you've had you're interview yet, but it comes to being left alone at work (or being excused) I always tell people to say that they have diarrhea. Gross, I know, but your boss will be too scared to ask any questions and will let you go. Good luck!

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    i am NOT telling the pastors i have diarrhea

    and why would i need to dress up for bad poop anyway?

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger stoli said…

    OK. OK. So the diarrhea comment was a little out there, but I've shared it w/ others so I know it works. No, you don't need a jacket(even for the midwest) and the lunch with your dad sounds like a good excuse, maybe you should say it's someone's birthday lunch somewhere nice.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger baggiegenes said…

    You are in a church, if anyone asks you why you are dressed up, look at them and very sternly say:

    "Don't question, just believe."

    and then go back to whatever you were doing.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home