Shit Happens

Monday, March 07, 2005

Humor Me (please)

I know I complain about church work. But in real life, the pastor is super nice and they take a positive spin on things.

So Pastor Bob (not his real name) comes in my office today, asking me what would encourage my generation to come to church. My first reaction, again, is to laugh. But the poor guy really is sincere in his attempts not to be judgmental and help people out. That's more that can be said for a lot of people.

So I said I would ask some friends:

What would encourage you come to church?

Why don't you presently go to church?

Which things are you unhappy about with church as you've been exposed to it?

My answers aren't fit to repeat, so I don't expect yours to be either, but if you have any ideas, leave me a comment.

Thanks!

5 Comments:

  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger stoli said…

    I would go to church if the communion glasses were bigger.

    I don't go to church because when I was younger I saw an old school Left Behind movie (not the Kirk Cameron version) in Sunday school that scared the hell out of me. Never again.

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Baseball games on a big screen in the background, concessions sold in the lobby. Sound can be off during sermons.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger ty bluesmith said…

    you can tell him to get off the boring-ass gospels and psalms so fucking much.

    me. i like the first five books. a man knew where he stood.

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Blogger K- said…

    I enjoy church but my church is only at around 9 or 10 am on Sunday mornings. I have a tough time making it when I have been out until 4am the night before. The sermons are usually okay but sometimes I start to nod off during them and I had being disrespectful like that. Our communion is just grape juice but it would be cool if it were a shot of Jack. I know Jesus probably would have wanted that. wink wink nudge nudge. I would go more if we had later services in the day to go. I haven't been unhappy with church although I've been to some other churches that are too touchy feely like let's hold hands type stuff. I don't like it being force down my throat I prefer to hear and interpret it myself. Church can be intimidating no matter how nice the people are because sometimes that is the intimidation. It's like, everyone is so nice but out in the real world these people would flick you off if you cut them off while driving. Know what I mean? That's all I have to say about that. Peace.

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    stoli- i don't think they use real wine here. i think only the catholics use wine, and that's only in attempt to get the little boys drunk

    an- you're just letting them turn the sound off because you have headphones on under your hat

    t-having more then 5 books is a problem in itself

    kys- thanks!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home