Shit Happens

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

more hair talk

Along with not liking my hair, one of the things I considered when coming to work this morning was the satisfaction my bitchy co-worker was going to get from seeing my bright hair and me unhappy about something. (I'm convinced under-handed comments are most often directed at me because I'm younger than her, seem happy and well-adjusted)

I know that's silly, especially since I generally don't care what she thinks of me and I only have contact with her at work, she's not a part of my friends or family that are important to me. Even though I "don't care" I think situations where certain people, in certain situations, make me feel insecure are about power - who seems the most happy, confident, likeable, etc.. - the exact same reasons she picks on me and tries to bring me down.

I could ramble about that and female dynamics all day but I'll spare you for now.

A friend came over, who knew I was having my hair re-done and said it looked nice, what did I think? I said it seemed kind of brassy to me, too-thin highlights and too-bright red.

I saw my nemesis co-worker looking over at me, listening. I was not in the mood for whatever "advice" or "helpful" comments she had to share.

But she surprised me.

"I know you don't like it, but I think your hair looks really nice. Very put together, like a movie star."

She was sincere. I'll probably dye over my hair, but her thoughtful comments made my morning.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Rockstar Jessie said…

    Isn't it nice when someone pleasantly surprises you by BEING NORMAL!?

    I'm sure you look fabulous, darling (imagine the Gabore accent)>

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    I can handle cranky people and people who are consistently bitchy, or bitchy for a good reason - but this lady can be sneaky bitchy/snide

    i'm hoping it's a new leaf

    AND i wish "normal" always meant "nice" :/

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger the good time girl said…

    i'm sure your hair looks wonderful. and it's really strange how people who don't really matter in your life at all can make you feel so insecure about yourself. you know you shouldn't care, but it's difficult not to. *and i'm not sure if this makes sense, as it's a little early in the morning, but i tried.*

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    thanks -

    it's embaressing to admit (the sometimes insecurity - the hair is already out there and hard to hide!) which circumstances make us feel uncomfortabe or competative

    I think I'll have a blog soon about all the things I'm scared or am embaressed about - I'm not sure if getting it out there is even more embaressing, or good for me

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home