Shit Happens

Friday, January 27, 2006

Can I kill my cat ....

I've had my cat for 13 years and love having her to cuddle and play with. She smells (apparently old cats smell just like old humans do) and is moody. That's probably why we get along so well :)

He's fixed, he hasn't been ho'n it around the neighborhood getting a lot of action, but he does have herpes. In cats, herpes is an upper-respitory infection and his came out in his eye. They're born with it and he began to show symptoms about a year ago.

I put drops in it and feed him special food but the vet says I should have him opperated on. To remove the eye it's over $500 and to save the eye and have some other type of surgery it's over $1,000. I can't afford either and even if he lives through the surgery (he's pretty old and putting him under and his recovery would be har don his body) it will come back and if it gets to this point again I'll be in the same position.

He also shakes. At first I brought him in and he had his ass glands cleared. (they have a name, but it slips my mind) Tht made him miserable and I he ran under a sink in the vet's office (while drugged) and the vet nurse had to put on special gloves to dig him out because he wouldn't come out for me.

The ass glands have been fine but he still does the butt dance. We thought it was a urinary tract infection but he only pees in his box and the vet tested his urine and it was clean. I looked on line and I found some research saying it could just be behavioral.

For the past year or so, I went with that but now it's getting worse and he looks like he's in pain when he shakes. I plan to bring him into the vet tomorrow to try to find out if I have any other options and to talk about putting him to sleep.

Except my vet doesn't seem to understand that sometimes people can't afford to take care of their pets in the extremes they would like too. My cat is old. If I was old, in pain and uncofortable, I would be thankful if someone put me to sleep.

She doesn't it see it that way. I am going to ask her how she thinks the cat is doing, should I try giving it more medicine to control the eye (it's gotten worse) and do more investigating on the shaking, or are those things not going to make a difference and without major surgeries and expensive and tramatic tests, nothing is going to make a difference.

I understand being frustrated with people who don't take care of their pets and the people who get rid of them or put them to sleep just because they don't want them anymore, but my kitty's lived a full life. I would love to have him around for 13 more years but to me, it seems like he's already started dying.

I don't see the vet being very supportive or understanding about me trying to discuss if I should put it to sleep but I already feel bad enough I don't need someone else making me feel worse.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger the good time girl said…

    you need a new vet. my kitty used to do the butt-shaking thing. it's a sign of a kidney disorder (i believe). i nursed her for as long as i could (she had a tumor in her throat and had to be fed baby food), but i could only do so much. our vet recommended putting her to sleep simply because she was so old and in so much pain. i can't imagine the vet making you feel bad about it. you should really kick him/her in the shin...or you know what...ask why s/he doesn't do the surgery for free since s/he's all about keeping kitty alive.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger the good time girl said…

    melis, if i could give you a hug right now, i would.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home