Shit Happens

Friday, January 13, 2006

Desolation Row

My friends are starting to commit to serious relationships, move in together and get married. I'm so happy for everyone, and lately, everyone has great taste and I love getting to know all these new people.

I hope everyone I know is happy, it works out and there are no more broken hearts.

I want you to find "the one."

However, for many people, this isn't the first "one." And when you broke up with the last "one" I was there for you, dropped some of my own plans and spent my time consoling you or trying to cheer you up. I love helping the people I love and doing whatever I can for them.

But now that they've found a new "one," I don't get as many phone calls to go out and especially not to stay in. Whenever we do get together, you're gf/bf is there, which is fine, 90% of the time - until you make out in front of me or baby talk or pick fights with one another because you're feeling bored or insecurity the moment. (COME ON people!) I don't understand, we're no longer 13 and you now have your own homes to kiss, goo and fight in.

And after being put on the back burner, again, I won't be around this time the way I have been in the past after the breakup. I'm really tired of being used (although I realize this is not your intension) when you need me and feeling forgotten once you find someone new.

I know it sounds petty, but sometimes I feel petty. Lately, my girl friends (and boy friends!) have included their significant others in EVERYTHING we do, like we weren't independent friends before. They expect me to make plans with them, working around their joint schedules, acting irritated when I don't. You've become less reliable and back out of plans more often.

I'm not angry and I hope I don't sound preachy. But if you think I'm talking about you, than it's something to think about.

I realize I see things differently than a lot of the people that I'm around- marriage, kids and white picket fences don't appeal to me and aren't on my agenda for a long, long time, if ever. I try to keep these sometimes separate priorities in mind, but I'm 24, it's hard to accept.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Sterno said…

    GodDAMN, you're needy.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    It's different for guys! Men won't talk to their buddies for years and then go have a beer together like nothing ever changed.

    Women need phone calls and girls' nights and time to complain to one another. We take it all personally.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger jager Jeff said…

    I am sorry, I have been ignoring you lately, As soon as I have this kid I will be more attentive to your needs. :)

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger the good time girl said…

    m, i know what you're saying. i am under the firm belief that non-couple time is essential. i think i'd kill shoo if i had to spend every waking moment with him. i need sarahtime...and sarah and her friends time, or i'd go crazy.
    some of my friends don't understand that. they haven't figured out they can have a good time without the boyfriend hanging on them constantly.
    also, something that bothers me...when out with the bf/gf, it's not necessary to be at his/her side at all times. i'll admit, i'm occasionally guilty of this--usually when i'm not as familiar with the company. but it's okay to talk to other people.
    and don't get me started on p.d.a...

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger gotshoo.com said…

    I tried to run away, but my last attempt left me with a nasty scar.

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger K- said…

    Took words out of my mouth Mels.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home