Shit Happens

Monday, April 17, 2006

Movie reviews

Once again, I'm broke. Well, not completely, but I'm trying to avoid completely. And I haven't even started saving for my Seattle trip.

To avoid spending money on liquor (I swear all my money goes to Captain and vodka!) I stayed in and rented movies. A LOT of movies.

Laura and I started watching the Chronicles of Narnia Friday night. I couldn't get into it. Saturday I went out and bought Brokeback Mountain. It was really good. The gay sex was kinda hot but probably more so disturbing. My mom went on about how she would rather watch two women getting it on and was ruining my moment. I told her that if she couldn't keep her lesbian fantasies to herself that I would go watch it in the other room.

So yes, violent, disturbing gay sex, but good movie. I've also seen Crash and think Walk the Line should have won the best picture Oscar.

I watched the Exorcism of Emily Rose. I heard it was super-scary. Not so much. The movie was okay but I still slept with the light out. I don't really believe in that stuff, which made it less believable to me. (Yes, I realize it was based on a true story, but I'm not down with demon possession)

I saw Capote, which was good, but I think you have to be a huge Truman Capote fan to love it. I read In Cold Blood a few years ago and was disappointed by the story. I felt it went into excruciating details regarding the murders and gave very little insight to the minds of the killers.

For fun, I also rented Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Generally, I'm kind of a movie snob and love nerdy documentaries and movies like Sylvia, which I'm going to have to buy offline because I can't find it in any store.

Smith was good. The action kept it moving and Brad Pitt gets hotter as her gets older. In 30 years he'll be the next Sean Connery (hopefully, minus the wife beating).

I know, I'm not going to score any jobs as a movie critic, but here's some ideas in case you plan on renting any this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home