Shit Happens

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Sometimes I really would prefer to go back to 18 and do it over

I spoke with my long poem professor last night after class about grad school, etc. To make a long story short(ish) I need to get a second bachelor's, in English.

My $100,000 B.S. in psychology is pretty much useless to me.

He said that if I want to get into a good MFA/MA program for creative writing, with a TA position that I need to take some more English classes, a foreign language and get good grades.

I've never received below a B in an English class (which may be unbelievable, considering my poor spelling and grammar on this blog!), so I'm not concerned with making the grades. He said I should have all the gen eds covered and my lower level English classes. (one of my minors was in creative writing) I assume it will take about two years, including summers. I need to get a copy of my transcript from my undergrad degree and make sure all these things will transfer, he made it sound like he'd bend the rules wherever he could.

I also need to look into French classes. I tried taking French in HS, and Spanish in both HS and college - neither of them worked out. I ended up with Cs or Ds in the HS class and dropped the college one, and changed my B.A. to a B.S. I also need to figure out if I can get my company to pay for this, or most of it. If they don't, I need to look into eventually quitting (soon) and going back to school full time.

So that's the update in my life. It's a little (very) overwhelming.

I'm also going to start Poetry Wednesdays, or Mondays - I haven't decided which day of the week yet and I assume I will be the only participant.

Here's one for today to hold you over. (hah!)

--------------------------------------------------------

Why the snooze button is picked out of my alarm clock

6 a.m.
I saved Tibet
Chinese retreated gave
back the temples
and a million men with Dalai Lama faces
smiled at me in gratitude

6:15 a.m.
I stabbed a dog
in the neck, missed
and split his mouth wide
like a bent book spine

he chased me in my terror
I sliced his throat
to save my life I did it
over and over and over
his jaw gaped gurgling
and detached

2 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger pvherrig said…

    OMG That poem seems to be filled with a lot of in-grown anger or something. Are you sure you are quite sane:)

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    I can't garentee my sanity but I felt pretty creepy and weird reading it in fron to my class!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home