Shit Happens

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My faith in the human race has been partially restored

My car got stuck in PARK all weekend. (and last week in the Loop, during rush hour)

I found this to be extremely frustrating and I assumed expensive.

I called the little VW people for a tow and they made me trouble-shoot first. After this phone call I learned that to get my car out of the PARK position I would have to:

Turn off all lights, flashers and music
Pump the break five times
Hold the break
Turn it on for five seconds
Turn it off
Keep holding the break
Quarter turn the key
Move the shift between N and D
Turn it on

The car was now ready to drive.

This worked.

The helpful customer service people would not, however, tell me what was wrong with my car. The would only give me instructions regarding how to move it "straight to a dealership for repairs", so they didn't have to cover an expensive tow.

It was the break light switch. This part is about $10, and about $90 to install it. I did a little investigating online and found out that there has been, or will be, a recall on the part. I called customer service. They asked for my VIN #, first born child and copy of my first pay stub from last year.

They would not admit to a recall, but said VW would cover the repair. The dealership did not offer this information, and had I not looked it up online and called the company, I would be out $100.

Which would seriously cut into my vodka/yarn/poem money.

I now have a freshly washed car that will shift out of park without having to do a song, dance and kiss on the trunk.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    LOL....glad they could fix it, that's a lot of vodka! ;)

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Anonymous hamachi15 said…

    You might want to be careful with this post. You are basically telling people how to get your car into gear without a key.

    Just my 2 cents.

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    A- Especially when the kind I buy is only like $6 a bottle!

    Ham - You still need the key to open the door and turn the ignition on -- I don't own anything valuable. You're welcome to steal it so I get a brand new one!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Rockstar Jessie said…

    I gonna go out on a limb and say it might be a "brake" light. I love you.

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Marilyndrew said…

    I was just checking to make sure you were paying attention.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home